SPROUTING: The Ultimate living food! Below are ten reasons why you should be eating sprouts! We started sprouting in our house and the pleasure and awe I feel from watching sprouts grow is exponential! It is such an effortless process! I started with a very basic 4 tray seed sprouter. The process involves soaking the seeds for the recommended amount of time, laying the seeds in the tray and watering 3 times a day. There are thousands of seed choices out there. pictured above is a very basic alfalfa. I ordered a bunch of exotic seeds from sprout people as I have become obsessed!
1.There is up to 100 times more enzymes in sprouts than uncooked fruits and vegetables. Enzymes are special types of proteins that act as catalysts for all bodily functions. Extracting more vitamins, minerals, amino acids, and essential fatty acids from the foods you eat ensures that your body has the nutritional building blocks needed.
2.The quality of the protein in the beans, nuts, seeds, or grains improves when it is sprouted. Proteins change during the soaking and sprouting process, improving its nutritional value.
3. The fiber content of the beans, nuts, seeds, or grains increases substantially, which is critical to weight loss. Fiber binds to fats and toxins in our body to escort them out, it ensures that any fat our body breaks down is moved quickly out of the body before it can resorb through the walls of the intestines (which is the main place for nutrient absorption into the blood).
4. Vitamin content increases dramatically. This is especially true of vitamins A, B-complex, C, and E. The vitamin content of some seeds, grains, beans, or nuts increases by up to 20 times the original value within only a few days of sprouting.
5. Essential fatty acid content increases during the sprouting process. Most of us are deficient in these fat-burning essential fats because they are not common in our diet.
6. During sprouting, minerals bind to protein in the seed, grain, nut, or bean, making them more useable in the body. This is true of alkaline minerals like calcium, magnesium, and others than help us to balance our body chemistry for weight loss and better health.
7. Sprouts are the ultimate locally-grown food. Free of chemicals, pesticides and the like!
8. The energy contained in the seed, grain, nut, or legume is ignited through soaking and sprouting.
9. Sprouts are alkalizing to your body. Many illnesses including cancer have been linked to excess acidity in the body.
10. Sprouts are inexpensive. People frequently use the cost of healthy foods as an excuse for not eating healthy. But, with sprouts being so cheap, there really is no excuse for not eating healthier.
adapted by: Green Living